While I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting Hawai’i I am certainly enjoying chocolate made from there through Madre Chocolate.
Madre Chocolate, a trip to the American Tropics
Madre was started with Dave Elliot and Dr. Nat Bletter. These guys are awesome, well traveled, educated, knowledgeable, and more. They’ve put their energy into producing some very delectable chocolates both with an eye on tradition and on simply good palate choices.
This chocolate is made with cacao purchased directly from an organic farm cooperatives in Central America and Hawaii and crafted from bean to bar in small batches. Our processing preserves a high level of healthy antioxidants and provides a rich delightful flavor.
At Madre Chocolate we use a selection of traditional fruits and spices of the Aztec, Maya, Olmec, and Barra tribes of Central America that invented chocolate, to both celebrate their cultural heritage and bring you delicious original flavors that few have had the privilege of tasting…until now.
Madre 70% Hawaiian Dark Chocolate
Madre has a bevy of chocolates to choose from and in our shop we’re hosting quite an array of them. From comfortable to tangy and tart they go all over the flavor spectrum and I’m excited to review more in the future. Especially when they get their Triple Cacao back in.
For this review I really wanted to highlight something that they make as local as they can and that’s chocolates from their own backyard, ala US soil.
- Each item is well packaged and described as to origin and flavor expectations/profiles.
- The chocolate bar itself is molded with a Mayan/Aztec relief which is pretty neat to just look at.
- Snap goes the chocolate. Always an enjoyable sound.
- Very clean
- Reminiscent of a cacao powder, maybe milk chocolate like
- Distant hint of mint
- Dark milk chocolate characteristics
- Pops of acidity, bright notes
- Mild tart cherry
- I keep being reminded of a childhood swiss miss memory. I could be off but that creamy milk chocolateyness just keeps sticking in my head.
- Overall a very simple, very clean chocolate
- Not too dark so it’s not a challenge
- Enjoyed slowly one might be reminded of a grandmothers hot cocoa
- Very approachable